Neck Stretch Exercise
Purpose of Exercise:
– Prophylactic; to slow down gradual effects of post-RT (radiation therapy) fibrosis to the neck area, assisting swallow function maintenance
– Completed radiation therapy (RT) to the head & neck area
– Recent surgery or injury to the neck area; do NOT perform this exercise and consult your physician for further advice
– Perform this exercise regularly even if swallow function is currently adequate, as the exercise purpose is for maintenance of swallow function
– Keep shoulders still
– Use of hands to assist will give a deeper stretch
– Stop if pain is sharp and intense; you may wish to retry later at a lower intensity when pain subsides
– Limited direct evidence
– Hojan, K., & Milecki, P. (2014). Opportunities for rehabilitation of patients with radiation fibrosis syndrome. Reports of Practical Oncology and Radiotherapy, 19(1), 1–6.
*Articles cited are a limited sample only, and there may be other & more recent evidence which supports / contraindicates use of this exercise.